This holiday is now FULLY BOOKED.
If you are interested in joining Anne on her next holiday to Gujarat in February 2020
please click on the link below.
Terms & Conditions are available here.
Maharani Gardens with Anne Kelly
London – Jaipur – London
19th – 28th March 2019
Depart: Tues 19th March 2019 – 21.05 – London Heathrow T4 (9W117)
Arrive: Wed 20th March 2019 – 11:25 – Mumbai T2
Depart: Wed 20th March 2019 – 14:05 – Mumbai T2 (9W953) – Arrive Jaipur T2 16:00
Depart: Thurs 28th Mar 2019 – 08:35 – Jaipur T2 (9W698) — Arrive Mumbai T2 – 10:35
Depart: Mumbai T2 – 13:15 (9W118) – Arrive London Heathrow T4 – 17:40
This Colouricious block printing textile holiday to Jaipur will be hosted by our artist in residence is Anne Kelly
Join textile artist in residence Anne Kelly on a very special visit to India. We will be visiting the gardens of Jaipur and working from their rich heritage, using a variety of techniques including block printing, collage and appliqué to create a unique and meaningful small wall hanging. The piece will be made all the more special by you using, collecting and making your own fabrics from the exciting surroundings you will be visiting.
This most exciting holiday includes return flights. London Heathrow overnight to Jaipur. 8 nights hotel accommodation including breakfast and evening meal. Private coach throughout the tour. Fully escorted by our representative in India.
Highlights of the Tour:
Hotel, transport and food requirements
You will be staying in the wonderful Megh Niwas Hotel Jaipur. Jamie the founder of Colouricious Holidays fell in love with this private family run hotel on her travels, returning every year for the high quality of cleanliness, decoration of the rooms and the homemade food. This hotel is the childhood home of the owner which we cherish.
All the foods are grown by the hotel in their organic farm and they have their own chef to cook appropriate meals for us. If you have any dietary requirements, please do get in touch so we can make any necessary arrangements with the chef. Your breakfast and dinner is included in the price.
To make this experience as comfortable as possible you will travelling this beautiful area in a private coach with a Colouricious Holidays representative to take you to the best hidden gems and stunning sites.
Need to know more….
Anne Kelly applique and embroidery design workshop
You will be participate in this 10 hour workshop, led by Anne, over the course of the holiday where you will produce stunning small wall hangings using textile techniques you will learn on your travels. Gain inspiration from all the wonderful places you visit each day aimed at stimulating you creativity.
The workshops will be spread over several days during the trip and will include the following activities/techniques:
- sketching from life in gardens near our hotel
- planning our composite piece
- buying/swapping fabric to make our piece
- printing using blocks from our visit
- collage techniques to assemble the piece
- hand stitching and tacking pieces together
- embellishment, embroidery and Kantha
- finishing the piece, edging it with ribbon
All materials can be bought on our visit but Anne would like participants to bring a small sketchbook/notebook with them
About Anne Kelly
Anne is an award winning textile artist, author and tutor. She trained in Canada and the UK and was the recipient of two successive Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation awards. She exhibits and tutors in her adopted country of the UK and worldwide.
Anne’s background in Canada and her project work since living and working in the UK have been rooted in the natural world and influenced by folk and naive art. In her recent practice, she explores the influences of this art form and historical style on her contemporary pieces, using her signature collage techniques. Many of her new works will be included in her forthcoming ‘Textile Folk Art’, (Batsford) publishing in August 2018. In this grouping she presents work that although grounded in references to the natural world, expresses her affinity to folk traditions, narratives, travel and migration.
What is block printing?
Block printing is ancient craft technique believed to be 2,000 years old and used to create big textile designs in short amounts of time. It is the process of printing patterns on textiles, usually of linen, cotton or silk, by means of incised wooden blocks. The printer aligns the first block and repeats the printing across the full length of the fabric. You will have the opportunity to see how these beautifully intricate designs are hand carved into wooden blocks using a hammer and chizzle. There are so many different block designs to choose from, you have complete freedom to create stunning fabric designs. With up to 50% discount off the blocks so you can easily take this technique home with you!
India is famous for its textile rich heritage exporting the wonderful and unusual variety of unique fabrics we use today. This is partly due to the difference in tools, materials and methods used across the country with many villages passing down modified variations of traditional techniques through generations. You will see substantial differences between the textiles of different regions as well as pronounced differences in the wooden block designs.
Block Printing Workshops
We at Colouricious Holidays feel a strong obligation to preserve this ancient method. Development of printing presses and urbanisation has put pressure on the local block printing families. To encourage these small villages to continue passing down their art and craft traditions and talents we offer these tours and workshops giving artisans a source of income to help keep these traditions alive.
The workshops are run in beautiful genuine block printing factories in Jaipur and remote villages. Your teachers who have spent their working life block printing. It is here you get a true sense of Indian culture interacting with the locals dressed in their stunning hand embroidered clothing. You will take part in at least 5 different block printing workshops learning these different methods. We may offer more workshops if the opportunity arises. Block printing workshops can include metallic paint, double and triple block printing, mitred corners, khadi printing and dabu printing.
This Eleday is a unique and inspiring experience. It is a kind activity where no cruel or harmful behaviour is tolerated. All the elephants are female which makes them loving and gentle. You will get to paint these beautiful creatures with organic and natural paints for the day. Learn to communicate with elephants especially through feeding them their favourite foods (bananas). You will learn how to play with them and bathe them if you want to see them at their happiest. This is a must do activity for anyone visiting India.
There is so much of India to explore! We also offer different craft and textile tours across this beautiful country. Take a look at the other wonderful destinations we also offer such as Uzbekistan, Japan and Bhutan or if you India!
Learn, create and be happy!
Travel India with Anne Kelly learning how to transform your fabrics with block printing techniques and embroidery design. Jaipur is one of the most beautiful states of India due to the ancient history and art heritage. There are people, patterns and embroidery everywhere! Almost a sensory overload of excitement, which we would like to share and show you. We will be visiting and taking part in with local carpenter and block printing workshops, showing off traditional authentic carving and hand block printing factories and a dyeing village in a remote area – all embedded in the history of Indian textiles. Busy and wonderful days learning and seeing another world of crafts. Come and try these textile techniques out for yourself, and be taught by the local artisans.
What heaven! We often squeeze in more activities than expected which pop up spontaneously. You may well adore to have clothes made by a local taylor. Take along some of your favourite clothes, choose some fabric, and have your own clothes made with your own flair. There are a number of tailors who we use, to avoid disappointment. Also lots of shopping in the local markets but also in the best shops in town, such as Fab India and Anouki. Let us know if there is anything in particular you are looking for, in the fabric world, so we can take you there. You will love Babu Bazaar for embellishments as well as the factories where you can buy fabric direct from the printers.
Anne Kelly’s group will be staying in the city of Jaipur which is the capital of the block printing India. Using Jaipur as our base, we will be taking days trips out to other areas for our block printing adventures – in particular, the dabu block printing workshop where you will block print your own fabric with mud, being taught by ladies in a village about an hour from Jaipur. Also in a town called Bagru, we will spend a morning block printing in a more “basic” factory i.e. with a more rural flavour. Adorable.
This is a taster itinerary and not the exact plan. On the evening of arrival you will be given an exact timetable as changes may be made. We under promise and over deliver!
- Depart London
- Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel
- 7pm Guide’s briefing
- Dinner at Megh Niwas hotel
- Breakfast is at the Hotel.
- Introduction about block printing and participate in double block printing workshop
- Bapu Bazaar for embroidery supplies and embellishments
- Dinner is at your hotel
- Breakfast is at the Hotel.
- Metallic Block Printing Workshop
- Workshop painting a tile at the Blue Pottery
- Walk around the lanes of Sanganeer to see blocks being hand carved
- Paper factory
- Dinner is at hotel
- Breakfast is at the Hotel.
- Anne’s teaching workshop
- Mitred corners block printing workshop
- Triple block printing workshop
- Colouricious Block Shop – 50% off all block purchases
- Dinner at the Megh Niwas
- Breakfast is at the Hotel.
- Anne’s teaching workshop
- Maharani’s Crematorium
- Satguru Block Printing
- Visit the Pink City
- Free evening
- Breakfast is at the Hotel.
- Visit Sisodiya Garden
- Visit Monkey Palace
- Lunch at Rangneel
- Blue colour block printing workshop
- Dinner at Megh Niwas
- Breakfast is at the Hotel.
- Anne’s teaching workshop
- Visit Kanak Vrindavan Gardens
- Sanjay Museum
- Free time
- Breakfast is at hotel
- Anne’s teaching workshop
- Elephant Village
- Anouki Store
- Free time
- Dinner is at the hotel
- Breakfast is at hotel.
- Transfer to Jaipur airport to connect with your flight back home.
Please read these booking conditions carefully as they form the basis of your contract with Colouricious Ltd Holidays. Once you secure your reservation with payment of a deposit or the full amount, we enter into a contract. We assume that you, and any other person on your booking form, or subsequently added to your booking form, have read these Terms & Conditions and agree to them.
- The holiday will include accommodation and meals as described on the website at the time of booking.
- Any flight and transfers details when not available at the time of booking, will be confirmed as soon as available.
- All tours and visits as described on the website at the time of booking.
- Travel arrangements are planned many months in advance and it may, very occasionally, be necessary to make changes to, or cancel completely parts of the itinerary. Therefore we reserve the right to make changes after we have entered into this contract. This includes the hotels and other accommodations.
- Although your confirmation and subsequent invoices may show the latest flight timings, these are subject to change at the will of the airline. We will inform you of any flight changes at the earliest opportunity. We do not take any responsibility for flight changes outside our control. When a change is a significant change (such as an alteration to your flight time by more than 12 hours, or a change to a lower standard of accommodation for the whole or a major part of your holiday), we will advise you as soon as is reasonably possible. You may then either accept the change, or take an alternative holiday (paying or receiving a refund / credit in respect of any price difference), or withdraw and accept a full refund.
- If your tour director is, for whatever reason, unable to travel with your party, we reserve the right to provide a replacement of similar professional expertise or a local professional guide. This will not be a significant change.
- If you book your own flights you should be aware that the land only component of your holiday may not be ATOL protected. Colouricious Ltd will not take responsibility for any problems, delays or expense you encounter with your own travel arrangements. Colouricious Ltd will not take responsibility for any failure by you to arrive at the destination and agreed meeting point in time to join the tour.
- If your tour director/guest artist/host is, for whatever reason, unable to travel with your party, we reserve the right to provide a replacement of similar professional expertise or a local professional guide. This will not be a significant change & the holiday will proceed.
Reservation & Payment
- We have an online booking system, however we are pleased to receive enquires via telephone, email or post. When you reserve your place on one of our holidays, you will be asked for payment of a deposit Payments can be made by credit/debit card online or on the telephone by direct bank transfer or by cheque.
- The balance must be paid at least 12 weeks prior to departure. If you are booking less than 12 weeks prior to departure the full amount is payable. If the monies are not paid in time, we reserve the right to cancel your holiday and apply the cancellation conditions as set out in clause 7 below.
- We have a deposit of £1,000 to cover the cost of booking a flight & reserving accommodation. We book our flights as early as possible to enable us to offer a competitive package. In common with most tour operators we do not offer a monthly payment system. We have a reputable agent in India, our holidays run with and without a UK representative. All our package holidays are guaranteed by the Civil Aviation Authority administered ATOL scheme. Our ATOL Licence No. 10830
- We reserve the right to increase our prices at any time, if costs rise due to unforeseen events such as government action, currency movements, or if fuel costs increase or other unexpected price rises occur of which we were unaware at the time of booking.
- Any increase in price will be limited to the net cost to Colouricious Ltd.
- In the event you wish to cancel your holiday you must inform Colouricious Ltd in writing immediately. Cancellation periods are calculated from the date Colouricious Ltd receive your written notification.
- Cancellation Charges
- 52 weeks or more : £100.00
- 16 Weeks – 1 year. £1,000.00
- 6 – 16 Weeks – 75% of total holiday cost
- Less than 6 weeks – 100% of total holiday cost
- NB. If you have upgraded your flight the cost of the upgrade will be in addition to the cancellation charge
- It may be that it is possible to transfer your holiday to another Colouricious Holiday. In additional to any price differential & ticketing costs, an admin fee of £50.00 per person will be charged.
- Colouricious Ltd requires a minimum number of guests for us to operate a holiday. In the unlikely event that we cancel a tour for this or any other reason, we will notify you at the earliest opportunity
- If we do have to cancel your holiday for any reason, before the date of departure, you will have the choice of taking an alternative holiday (paying, or receiving a refund, in respect of any price difference) or accepting a full refund of all monies paid to us.
- We cannot be held responsible for any additional services or products which you purchase outside the terms of our itinerary or our brochure or website. Please note this includes any flight costs for flights that were not booked for you by Colouricious Holidays. If you are flying independently of Colouricious, do not book your flights until we have confirmed that the holiday will operate.
- It is a requirement that all clients have suitable travel insurance.
- You must provide us with the name of your insurers, the policy number and emergency contact number before you travel. Colouricious Holidays will not be liable for any costs incurred by you due to your failure to take out suitable travel insurance from the date of booking.
- You are responsible for repaying in full any losses or expenses incurred by Colouricious Ltd arising out of your failure to take out adequate insurance cover
VISA, Passport & other documentation
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all the necessary documentation to complete your journey. Be aware that some countries require a passport to be valid for 3-6 months after your holiday. Whatever your nationality you should check with your relevant embassy for visa and other requirements.
- Colouricious Ltd will not be responsible for any visa or other immigration matter, nor any costs incurred as a result of such matter.
- We require full passport details no later than 4 weeks prior to departure for airline bookings.
- The names that appear on your booking form MUST be the same as the names in your passport. If the names on the booking form is not the same as on your passport you will be responsible for any costs incurred.
Health & Accessibility
- It should be noted that many of our itineraries include visits to less economically developed countries and that the general levels of comfort and services in some destinations are lower than would be found in the UK and the EU. In particular pavement and road surfaces can be broken and uneven.
- The dust, heat and exhaust in big cities of LEDC’s may occasionally be troublesome for people with breathing issues. Be assured that providing you are reasonably healthy you will be able to take part in any of our holidays.
- If you have any special needs or medical condition that you consider (or some other person may reasonably consider) may impinge on your participation of the holiday, you must inform us at the time of booking so that we can advise you on the suitability of the holiday. We will strive to include everyone in every part of our holidays but in visiting LEDC”s some of the sites that we visit or stay, are not necessarily equipped for wheelchair access or other special needs.
- Dietary requirements should be advised at the time of booking.
Your Financial Protection
- When you buy an ATOL protected flight or flight inclusive holiday from us you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong.”
- “We, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL Certificate, will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought or a suitable alternative (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).”
- “If we, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL certificate, are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.”
- Colouricious will always strive to act in the best interest of the client to ensure the best holiday experience possible. It is essential that any complaints and or problems are notified to us at the time so that the matter may be addressed at the earliest opportunity.
- If your tour leader is unable to resolve the problem to your satisfaction, you should write to email@example.com at the time. Colouricious will do our best to investigate and resolve the matter as soon as practicable.
- All matters arising from your contract with Colouricious Ltd are governed by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Court.
Online Booking & Payment Terms
Please book your holiday online – the booking form is found at the top of this page. Once you have submitted your booking form and made your payment, you will be sent a confirmation note and if appropriate an ATOL certificate.
Upgrading your flight?
If you are considering upgrading your flight we will be pleased to assist. Please call us on 0203 362 4114 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of booking for a quote.
Not coming from the UK?
Then it makes sense for you make your own way to Jaipur and meet us there.
Simply email us at email@example.com and we will send you the details.
Book your own flight and pay the land only price without flight
Don’t want to book online?
If you do not wish to book your holiday online, then please contact us on 0203 362 4114 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange it all for you and advise you of the ways you can make your deposit payment.
“Thanks so much for such a wonderful trip with a lovely group of people – was fun to share in all the stories everyone had to tell & enjoy doing the workshops together – so much talent there! Has been hard to come down to earth & put it all aside for the Christmas time but can go back to it all now & enjoy sorting out photos & look at all the pieces I bought – have not got round to unpacking them yet! Everyone that I bought scarves from Jaipur loved them & a few stories – have even been asked to give a talk & slide show about it!!! ” Daphne
Jamie Malden – you are a STAR! You will never know just how much it meant to those of us like myself, recently widowed or now finding themselves alone for other reasons, to discover they can enjoy a wonderful holiday again. Your organisation of every detail was exemplary and I would never hesitate to encourage others to join you on a Colouricious holiday. Being able to participate in block printing workshops with local people was such a privilege, the kindness of everyone we met was outstanding and the fun and happiness felt by everyone made for a really very special holiday. I am still reliving chaotic but amazing Rajasthan every day and will do for some time to come so thank you SO much! Please also pass on my warmest appreciation to Puneet for all his undivided attention to every detail to ensure our Jaipur experience was the best possible and It was such a pleasure to meet him. Best wishes Sandra